G. JEFF COONSPARTNER
G. Jeff Coons is a Partner with Morrill Law and practices in the area of trust and estate litigation. Mr. Coons represents beneficiaries and fiduciaries in disputes involving will and trust contests, elder abuse, contested powers of attorney, and related issues. Prior to joining Morrill Law, Mr. Coons practiced for more than 17 years at national and regional law firms where he represented clients in complex civil litigation matters involving personal injury, toxic tort, environmental, and asbestos cases. As a research analyst for PricewaterhouseCoopers, he advised Fortune 500 telecommunications companies on regulatory issues and merger and acquisition opportunities. Mr. Coons is a former senior consultant to internet and business systems concerns that advised global energy and telecommunications corporations.
J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law, Santa Clara, CA, 1995
LL.M. in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law, with honors, Golden Gate University School of Law, San Francisco, CA, 2020
- Graduate Certificate in Estate Planning, Golden Gate University School of Law, 2019
B.A., Public Policy, Occidental College, Los Angeles, CA, 1991
State of California
Member, East Bay Trust and Estate Lawyers
Publications and Presentations
- “Cautious Steps Forward, Discouraging Steps Backward – the Continuing Effort to Utilize the Sophisticated User Defense Established in Johnson v. American Standard,” Defense Comment, an Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and Nevada magazine (Spring 2013).
- “Pending California Appellate Decision Set to Define the Extent of the Sophisticated User Defense Established in Johnson v. American Standard,” Defense Research Institute Newsletter (August 2010).
- “Appellate Court Update – Key Decisions and Trends in California,” Panel includes Paul Cook, Curt Cutting and Ted Pelletier, Harris Martin Asbestos Litigation Conference, Los Angeles, California (December 12, 2013).
- “Appellate Court Decisions,” with Brian Barrow, Paul Kalish and Linda Tata, Harris Martin Asbestos Litigation Conference, Los Angeles, California (December 12, 2012).
- “An Objective Presentation on Complex Case Coordination Issues,” with Patrick DeBlase, Scott L. Frost and Margaret Johnson, Harris Martin Asbestos Litigation Conference, Los Angeles, California (December 8, 2011).
- “Forum Non Conveniens Motions in Toxic Tort Practice,” Harris Martin Asbestos Conference for Associates and Paralegals, Los Angeles, California (January 29, 2010).
- “Forum Non Conveniens and Federal Removal: New Challenges and Opportunities,” Harris Martin California Asbestos Litigation Conference, Beverly Hills, California (September 15, 2008).
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) Trial Academy participant, Stanford Law School (July 2008).